Sunday 24 October 2010

in California

I have been listening to Joanna Newsom a lot recently. i think her voice, although different in her new album, is mesmerising, and on her new album,  Have one on me, one song gets me every time. In California is so beautiful, and they lyrics are wonderful. Quite emotional in a way, and the way she sings them is just soooo endearing. 




I dont belong to anyone,
 my heart is heavy as an oil drum,
and i don't want to be alone,
my heart is yellow as an ear of corn.

some nights i never go to sleep at all,
and i stand,
shaking in the doorway like a sentinel, all alone
bracing like the bow upon a ship,
and fully abandoning
any thought of anywhere but home,
my home
sometimes i can almost feel the power,
and i do love you
is it only timing that has made it such a dark hour
only ever chiming out cuck-hoo, hoo-oo, hoo-oo.





Always makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment